Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

What equipment do I need to purchase to polish my aluminum tanks?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What equipment do I need to purchase to polish my aluminum tanks?

Post  Bigrig on Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:31 am

I have been using Zephyr on my tanks applying by hand.[not real happy with results} Tanks are in need of a good cleaning and a polish.
What steps do I take to bring my tanks up to a nice shine. Mirror would be nice but how much work is that? What wheels do I need to buy what type of grinder do I need to put the wheel on? Make and model please. Step by step and what do I need to apply to keep looking good after all the work. I never leave Michigan tanks only dura bright on wheels what do you recommend on for wheels? Thanks in advance!!

Bigrig
Just Started
Just Started

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-12-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What equipment do I need to purchase to polish my aluminum tanks?

Post  BuschShineProducts on Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:19 pm

First off, make sure you check out our website section on Buffing Information.

To start, you must clean the tanks with Busch Aluminum Wash to remove the oxidation. Next, inspect the wheel for pitting. Light pitting can be removed with Tripoli Compound and a suitable yellow buffing wheel. Heavy pitting must be sanded out, starting with 240 grit and step sanding to 600 grit, and then following with the aformentioned Tripoli Compound and yellow wheel. For the machine, we recommend either a Dewalt 849 hand held buffer or any 3/8" 2500 rpm drill. The buffer will get the job done quicker and give a higher shine. For the buffer, use our 8" Yellow Airway with Flange Kit, running at 2000 rpm. For drill use, use our 6" Yellow Airway and Drill Adaptor, using the full 2500 rpm. Holding the Tripoli bar in hand, grind the buffing pad into the bar, which will melt the compound onto the pad, and start buffing the tank. Start at the bottom of the tank and move the buffer/drill accross the tank in the same direction of the rotating pad. Lift off the surface and return to where you started, moving accross the tank again. Reapply compound as needed. You will also need a Rake, which removes excess buffing residue. Once you have completed this step, use Busch Super Shine with 8" Medium White Airway, once again bolted to the buffer with the Flange kit. Apply the polish to a rag, and wipe on in approximately 4" by 12" areas. Buff clean with the same process you used for the Tripoli step. Finally, apply Busch Aluminum Wax and Sealant to prolong the shine and reduce water spotting and oxidation. Basically you are looking at a four step process, maybe five if sanding is necessary. (1)Clean, (2) Sand, (3) Compound, (4) Finish, (5) Wax.

Your list of necessary items are:
Busch Aluminum Wash
Tripoli Compound
Busch Super Shine Aluminum Polish
8" Yellow Airway
8" Medium Airway
Rake
Flange/Adapter Kit for Airways
Dewalt 849 Hand Held Buffer
Busch Aluminum Wax and Sealant

*substitute 8" Airways for 6" Airways for drill use, and the Flange Kit for a Drill Adapter.

Your clearcoated wheels should be cleaned with car wash soap and a sponge.

800-213-2067

Visit our website at www.BuschShineProducts.com
BuschShineProducts

Number of posts : 37
Job/hobbies : Buffing, Talking, Teaching
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://buschshineproducts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pburley on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:11 am

I am also looking for the complete process of polishing aluminum to a mirror shine. The difference I have is that I want to do it to a snowmobile tunnel/chassis. The issue I have is the details on a snowmobile tunnel/chassis that large wheel duffers will not fit, the area is small and tight. Also, how do I get in the corners and the sharp details where my feet rest? What tools do you recommend?
Thanks,
Pete

pburley
Just Started
Just Started

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-10-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  BuschShineProducts on Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:48 pm

I would recommend our 2" cone shape buffing pads, which are designed to buff hard to reach areas. These are available in heavy cut, medium cut, and soft cut materials. also, we have a 1" tapered felt bob, and a smaller 1/2" version for even tighter stuff. for the tightest of spots, we have a dremel tool felt bob assortment you can check out. all of these items are on the website.

Visit our website at www.BuschShineProducts.com
BuschShineProducts

Number of posts : 37
Job/hobbies : Buffing, Talking, Teaching
Registration date : 2008-06-18

View user profile http://buschshineproducts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top